Sunday, July 6, 2008

Item 7, Week 3--Technology

I'm coming from a work situation that involves two libraries--separate buildings, two offices. E-mail made the job run so much smoother. A problem at one building could be quickly communicated to me and when I was between classes I could check and respond. My aides could do the same and we weren't being called from important interaction with the students. Also, parents who couldn't catch up with me by phone could e-mail me and get a quicker response. Next year we'll have a librarian in every building and it won't be so critical to keeping things running smoothly, but it has been such a help with the current situation. Another thing I really like is the webpage for the library on the district's website. I can post everything students and parents may need to know at home and have it readily available to them. Unfortunately, it is easy to forget to keep it updated!
The most difficult thing I find is the filters that are supposed to keep things safe. They keep out many things we need and let things through that shouldn't be. That often turns out to be the hang-up when we want to try something new with the students. When I'm in one building full-time next year, I hope to be able to do a lot more with technology than I have so far. I'll have new favorites, I'm sure!

1 comment:

Erin said...

I also run 2 libraries, and agree that email has made the job A LOT easier! I can send over email directions, as well as assignments and bookplate templates to my aide in the other building to print out/ use/ copy for me. I am only at my one building one day a week, so email is critical when talking with parents at that building! Nice blog too!

Erin
readinginrheems.blogspot.com