It just about made my head spin to see the expectations Mr. Stephens has of "Librarian 2.0." He expects us to be experts on technology and keeping up on what is available and how to use it We should be able to discern what is going to stick around and what is a passing fad, what our particular patrons will need and use and what isn't worth our time. Not to mention instant messaging our patrons to keep them informed and guide them to new ways to meet their needs. And I must "embrace" it instead of longing for kiddie lit!
What does Library 2.0 mean to school libraries? Well, I read the definition and I'm still a little confused over exactly what is meant by Library 2.0. Obviously, the main concern is technology, and two-way communication is very prominent in the definition. So it seems that as long as the services are changing and using technology and using feedback from their patrons in decision making, they are on the right track. As a school librarian in an elementary school, I feel my participation may be limited by my students reading and technological skills. However, I'm very curious to know just how interested my K-6 students will be in what I'm learning with this course and will certainly be introducing many of the things I've done during the next school year--if I can get it past the Technology Department.
Friday, July 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment